Skip Navigation Website Accessibility
Three brown mushrooms

Rain brings mushrooms; mushrooms can bring trouble

Dogs are great at sniffing. Sometimes they're great at sniffing up trouble. We've had a ton of rain in the low country this year, and rain brings mushrooms. They are popping up all over the place, and some of them are toxic.

Please take extra care when you are walking your dog or letting her play in the yard. Dogs can get to a mushroom before you even see it and that can land them in the emergency vet's office - a place no one wants to go (sorry vets, you know it's true though).

Dr. David Dorman, a veterinary toxicologist at NC State's veterinary school, told the Raleigh News & Observer that dog owners should pull up and discard any mushrooms that pop up in their yards. He even recommends wearing gloves to do it, just in case the mushroom is a toxic one.

If you think your dog may have eaten a toxic mushroom, or any other toxin, call the ASPCA's poison control hotline immediately(888) 426-4435.

Mushrooms aren't the only potentially toxic things growing in our yards. Check out this list of 16 common plants that can harm your pup.